For more information on the Oratorical program visit
THE AMERICAN LEGION HIGH SCHOOL ORATORICAL SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
“A CONSTITUTIONAL SPEECH CONTEST”
Contact your local American Legion Post in the phone book or at www.legion.org/posts
2018 ORATORICAL CONTEST:
The Oratorical Scholarship Program in Texas will begin in October 2017 when high school students will enter competition to qualify for the National Oratorical Program, with an ultimate award of $160,000 in scholarships. Posts and schools may hold local contests during the fall of 2017 if they so desire. Whenever possible, it is recommended that the Oratorical Program be presented before the student body of a high school. It is strongly recommended that the National Rules be strictly followed in all contests.
SELECTION OF CONTESTANTS AND DATES:
1. Each public high school, private school, charter school, and home schooled, with grades 9 thru 12 that is sponsored by their local American Legion Post, is allowed to advance 1 contestant to the district level. Local contests must begin after October 28, 2017, and must be completed by December 22, 2017. Contests should be conducted using National rules. Winners are to be certified by the local American Legion Oratorical Chair or Post Commander, who will then notify the District Oratorical Chair, and Department of the local winner.
2. District Contests shall be held on or after December 23, 2017, but not later than January 19, 2018 at such place as may be directed by the District Chair, and the winner certified to the Division Oratorical Chair by the District Oratorical chair or District Commander. Contests should be conducted using National rules.
3. Division Contests shall be held on or after January 20, 2018, but not later than February 11, 2018, at such place as may be directed by the Division Chair, and the winner certified by each Division Oratorical Chair or Division Commander to Department Headquarters, P.O. Box 140527, Austin TX 78714. Should the winner decline to participate in the Department Finals for any reason, the first runner-up should then be certified as the participant by the Division Chairman. Contests should be conducted using National rules.
4. The American Legion, Department of Texas, Oratorical Program Finals, will be held Monday, February 19, 2018 (February 26 ALTERNATE) at 9:00 A.M. at Earl Graham Post 159, 101 Waco St, Bryan, TX. The state contest will be conducted using National rules. Department Headquarters will certify the winner to the National Americanism Commission.
SUPERVISION OF CONTEST:
The Oratorical Chairman in charge of each Contest shall have full control and supervision of each Contest and his/her decisions shall be final. The Department Oratorical Chair will direct the Department Contest. Official judging cards, tabulation forms, and timekeeper forms can be found in the Post Oratorical Chairman’s Guide. Extra forms can be furnished upon request.
1. The American Legion Post may present a scholarship or such awards to the winner of the High School Contest as it chooses so long as such awards has NO cash value. The scholarship must be paid to the college or university of the student’s choice in the student’s name to be credited in the student’ name once proof of enrollment has been received. A deadline for the payment should be established by the awarding organization.
2. The American Legion, Department of Texas, will award: Each Division winner will receive a certificate for participation in the Department Finals and a medal for their standing in the contest.
3. The Department will award a $2,000 scholarship to the college of his/her choice; 2nd place – $1,500 scholarship; 3rd place $1,000 scholarship; and 4th place $500 scholarship (provided the winner enters college within 1 year after graduation from high school).
4. The Department Champion will receive an additional $1,500 scholarship from National provided he/she participates in the Quarter Finals Contest and an additional $1,500 scholarship from National if the participant advances to the Semi Finals Contest and does not advance to the National Finals. Competitors in the National Finals are awarded scholarships as follows; 1st – $18,000; 2nd – $16,000; 3rd – $14,000.
1. The Department assumes no liability for the expenses of any individual contestant in connection with any High School, District or Division Contest.
2. Expenses for two meals ($6.00 per meal), hotel expenses, plus .25¢ per mile round trip for contestant and one adult in car for Division winners will be paid by the Department traveling to the State Contest. (No air travel is authorized.) Such expenses will be paid to the adult chaperon or to the Post. No monies are to be paid directly to the contestant to protect his/her future eligibility to participate in the University Interscholastic League. Contestant’s actual expenses will not be reimbursed.
3. The winner of the Department Contest will represent the State of Texas in the National Contests and expenses for such contestant will be provided in accordance with the National Rules.
COPIES OF MANUSCRIPT:
All Division Winners must submit one copy of their prepared oration to the Department Chair or their designated representative before competing in the State Final Contest. (This copy is to be forwarded by the Department Chairman to Department Headquarters for record purposes along with the Chairman’s written report.)
2018 Oratorical Contest Assigned Topics:
To download PDF forms, right click (or control+click for Mac) to “save link as”