The American Legion, Department of Texas has an opening for an Accountant
Position Announcement – Accountant
Salary Schedule $43,000.00 annually
Opening Date: October 15, 2017
Closing Date: Until Position Filled
Job Location: Department Headquarters, Austin, Texas
The American Legion, Department of Texas, a non-profit Veterans Organization, is currently looking to fill the full-time position of Accountant. This position preforms entry-level accounting duties and is responsible for the daily tasks of preparing, posting, balancing of all financial records, documents and/or reports. Specializes in accounting work such as payroll, payables and receivables, cost estimating, internal auditing procedures and fiscal activities such as inventory of property. This position has no administrative personnel supervision responsibilities.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
- Responsible for preparing Department vouchers and checks for all vendors for purchases of supplies, furniture and equipment, as well as travel vouchers.
- Prepares the bi-weekly payroll, payroll voucher and Direct Deposit.
- Prepares vouchers, deposits, cost budget revisions, stop payment, expenditure vouchers and checks for payment.
- Maintains records of revenues, expenditures and appropriations.
- Performs various accounting work assisting in budgetary, accounting and fiscal activities.
- Prepares the Monthly and Quarterly Financial Statements and various other internal projections and statements.
- Properly Closes and Posts the monthly and year end General Ledger records
- Posts and balances General Ledger and Journals. Maintains posting of vouchers in expenditure journal.
- Prepares Department monthly and quarterly reports for insurance, IRS, Social Security and TWC.
- Directs all IRS and FICA deposits.
- Prepares employee’s W-2’s and related reports.
- Consults and advises Department Adjutant on matters concerning Department finances and related areas.
- Shall perform duties and responsibilities or other special projects as may be assigned by the Department Adjutant.
GENERAL QUALIFICATION GUIDELINES
Education and Experience
- High School Graduate; with four-year accredited college or university with a degree in accounting.
- Be an honorable discharge veteran from the Armed Forces of the United States of America, or be a family member of a Veteran.
- Must be proficient using Sage 50 (Peachtree) accounting software.
- Must have Computer Skills to include MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word and Excel specifically)
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggle multiple priorities, and work with multiple personality types.
- Must refrain from participation in the political aspects of Legion activities at the District, Division and Department levels.
- Must be able to sit for long periods
- Occasional, walking, lifting, bending, twisting, stooping and reaching of moderate to heavy weights of material of up to 25 lbs.
Applications may be requested by contacting The American legion, Department of Texas, PO Box 140527 Austin, Texas 78714, (512) 472-4138, Fax (512) 472-0603 or by emailing to email@example.com. Applications, cover letter and resume may be mailed, faxed or emailed.