The American Legion Department of Texas
Oral History Project is about to begin!
We want to hear from You!
The American Legion, Department of Texas is working with Publishing Concepts (PCI) to create an Oral History of our members. PCI will be contacting you vie mail and email to request that you update your members information. We are also collecting stories from our members to memorialize the history of their military and American Legion service and experience through the years.
PCI is a family owed business based in Dallas, TX. You will probably remember them from the project we did back in 2018 and 2019 that published our department 100th Anniversary book during The American Legion’s 100th Anniversary Celebration.
We understand security and privacy are concerns, but please know that PCI is a trusted partner of The American Legion, Department of Texas. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to be included and to leave a part of your individual legacy for your family and for generations to come.
Frequently Asked Questions by Members
I received an email/postcard/phone call asking for my personal information and a story about American Legion Department of Texas. Tell me more about the project.
We have partnered with PCI (also known as Publishing Concepts) to produce an Oral History Publication for American Legion Department of Texas. PCI is a family owned business based in Dallas, TX that has published directories for educational institutions, fraternities, sororities, and military organizations across the nation for over 100 years. This project allows American Legion Department of Texas to hear about your personal experiences and how the organization helped to shape your life. And, while we have you on the phone, we want to make sure your contact information is up to date.
Does American Legion Department of Texas benefit from this at all?
Yes, in a few different ways:
- Updated Information – allows us to effectively communicate with and engage members
- Legacy – sharing and collecting stories preserves the history of our organization
- Revenue– generates non-dues revenue for member programs
- Pride – wearing apparel shows support and love for our organization
How do I know my information will only be used for Oral History Project purposes?
PCI is committed to protecting your information. The names, addresses and information provided to PCI for the publication of the Oral History Project will be held confidential by PCI, except to the extent that they are utilized in, or in the preparation of, the Oral History Project and except as required by court order or law.
I would like to verify or update my information and share a story. How may I do this?
- If you have received a postcard or an email with a telephone number, you may call the number to speak with a dedicated representative for the Oral History Project. The representative will verify the information we have on file for you, make any updates where needed, and then ask you to share your story about your time at American Legion Department of Texas. Your story will be recorded and the sound clip provided to American Legion Department of Texas at the conclusion of the project.
- If you have received an email with an embedded link, you may go to the online site to review your information and submit a story.
- If you did not receive a postcard or email, you may call the dedicated American Legion Department of Texas update line at 1- 800-479-8576.
Can I choose what information prints in the publication?
The only information that is included in the publication is your name, highest rank, and branch of service along with your story and photo. No contact information is printed. When you call to update your contact information, it will only be used to update your member record for American Legion Department of Texas. You may revoke consent for your story and/or photo to appear any time before June 2, 2023 by contacting PCI’s customer service helpdesk at 1-800-982-1590 / email@example.com.
I updated my information but need some more time to think about what experience to share.
You can call back at any time before June 2, 2023 to share your story.
I shared a story and the representative said I could send a photo. How do I do this?
You will receive an email with a link to upload one photo (black and white or color) plus a caption.
If you have also purchased a book but do not have an email address on file, you will be sent a photo mailer to send a physical photo in to be printed (note: the photo will be returned if you include a self-addressed, stamped envelope).
Can anyone purchase a book?
The American Legion Department of Texas Oral History Publication is available for sale only to American Legion Department of Texas members.
When will I receive my book?
The total duration of the Oral History Project is about 12-15 months. Since we began the project in December 2022, the books will be distributed in January – March 2024.
I ordered a book / package over the phone and would like to cancel my order. How do I do this?
Contact PCI’s customer service helpdesk at 1-800-982-1590 and they will take care of this for you.