Position Announcement Department Service Officer
Salary Schedule B8 – $40,000.00 annually
Opening Date: December 1, 2022
Closing Date: January 31, 2022
Job Location: VA Regional Center Houston, Texas
The American Legion, Department of Texas, a non‐profit Veterans Organization, is looking for a Department Service Officer, to provide assistance and benefit information to veterans, their dependents and beneficiaries, under laws administered by the Veterans Administration and other federal, state and local agencies, which administer and provide service to veterans in the State of Texas.
This position involves dealing with public and have an understanding attitude including, tactfulness, ingenuity, patience, and the ability to cope with problems that exist in all types of situations.
Applicant must be able to utilize a variety of interviewing techniques; draw conclusions from a number of conflicting facts to be able to speak and write clearly; meet and become familiar with community resources and local agencies, civic groups, and other organizations providing services or benefits to veterans or returning servicemen and women.
Weekend work and travel are required for this position. This position is an administrative position with no administrative personnel supervision responsibilities and is under the direct supervision to the Department Adjutant.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
- Performs duties in support of the provision of case management services to veteran customers.
- Files appropriate claims and supporting evidence for successful adjudication.
- Available to assist hospitalized veterans with claims and applications for VA benefits.
- Responsible for handling highly difficult and technical claims.
- Interviews veterans, their dependents or survivors and provides service, counseling and assistance in obtaining benefits, rights and entitlements.
- Maintains case management records and appropriate documents.
- General personal computer, Microsoft Windows and Microsoft office experience preferred.
- Consults with medical and/or legal personnel at VA Offices and in the field in the development of pertinent evidence to support claims.
- Shall perform such duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Department Adjutant.
GENERAL QUALIFICATION GUIDELINES Education and Experience
- Graduate of accredited high school or equivalent; prefer degree from four year accredited college or university. Work experience will be considered in lieu of college degree.
- Must be an honorably discharged veteran and a member of The American Legion.
- Should have considerable amount of knowledge and experience in administrative duties.
- Should have working knowledge of The American Legion and the purposes of the organization.
Applications may be submitted to The American Legion, Department of Texas, PO Box 140527, Austin, Texas 78714, (512) 472-4138, or by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications, cover letter and resume may be mailed or emailed.
An Equal Employment Opportunity Employer – The American Legion, Department of Texas does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age or disability in employment or the provision of services.